Sunday, May 29, 2011

Haiti. Sweat and Sabbath.

Friday-
Our work was on Friday was varied. Some of us built/varnished pews, others painted a new Nazarene Compassionate Ministries building on campus. However, Nate Kerr and I worked on assembling 7 wooden crosses for the church buildings to be built during the summer and 7 smaller crosses for the front of the pulpits which Jacob Morris and Megan Arnett were building. While I am no master carpenter like Jesus or Will Knowles, I was pretty stinkin' proud of our work. Also, there is something unique about assembling crosses you make with your hands. I spent most of that day reflecting and praying about the very things my hands were doing.

Saturday-
Our day consisted of some work around the Nazarene Seminary Cleaning up in the morning. Then we kicked it up a notch after lunch. We then did some of the hardest work I had ever done as we moved a huge pile of rocks from one side of campus to the other. I was literally so tired that the thought of pulling out my camera to document our work overwhelmed me :) But trust me, hard work was done!

Sunday-
After Jacob (and myself) played some accidental bumper cars loading up for the day, we headed off to the church in Pernier that we had worked at earlier that week for a Worship and Dedication Service. I will let the pictures below speak for themselves, but it was an amazing time of worship and watching the Kingdom of God break into our world. It is a day forever etched in my memory.

Grinding Mill near the Church we worked at in Pernier II.


The New Church Building.


Pastor Brent preaching and our Translator/Guide/Foreman, Frantz


After the children sang, "This is the day that the Lord has made" in English, they invited us all up on stage to sing along with them!


Woman in the village we were in.


Pastor Breville. 5'1". 77 years old. 30 years as Pastor in Pernier II.


Group shot with church board in the new church, on the stage, after the church service.


Children waiting to receive the school supplies that we had brought with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment